Empire Avenue - waste of time?
Pat Rhoads - Nonprofit Marketing & Social Media Professional

May 2011
April 2011
February 2011
January 2011

powered by

Another 'Expert', only I'm not

Empire Avenue - waste of time?

{EAV_BLOG_VER:4e4e45c7dcb23484}

If you have a blog, and have tried to connect it to your Empire Avenue profile, then you know exactly what that line above is all about. But adding it gave me an opportunity to write a post about this fairly new social site. More specifically, I'm wondering how people would answer the question:

"What is the purpose of Empire Avenue?"

I mean, it's somewhat addicting because of the competitive element. And yes, it is a new way to build connections to people around common interests or communities. And finally, I'll admit that since I'm new to Empire Ave, I may simply not get WHY this site is a truly valuable asset to a person's social media presence.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Maybe there doesn't need to be a 'reason'. Quite possibly, the 'investment game' element is enough of a draw and a reason to use the site. While I haven't used the site much in the first two weeks since I created my profile, it's true that I was pleased to see my stock price didn't really drop while I was out of the country for a week, a week with almost non-existent social media activity.

So, is there a 'real' use for it? Is there a viable business use? Or is it just a fun waste of time? Thoughts?

7 Comments to Empire Avenue - waste of time?:

Comments RSS
Lynda on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:55 PM
It encourages you to participate in social media more, share and create quality content and encourage others (whom you're invested) to participate productively in social media to drive up their score and increase your dividends! (it's just a game, but it's a fun one that serves a greater purpose.)
Reply to comment

patmrhoads on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:03 PM
Lynda: I suppose to some extent you're right - it COULD encourage people to participate more in social media, and with greater quality. But doesn't Klout also do that, and without you having to invest time into it? Which goes back to a note that you ad I both made about it: it's a game. Maybe the bigger purose it serves IS the point. Thanks for your comment!

Lynda on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:01 PM
No, Klout doesn't do that at all. It doesn't show you and break down every detail in analysis of how you could better engage across these major social networks. (Check your stats tab and unlock all the investors for an amazing break down into each social network.) Klout gives you a cryptic score and a meaningless label based primarily on your Twitter activity only. This is a good read: http://chris.pirillo.com/my-empire-avenue-strategy-and-tips/
Reply to comment

patmrhoads on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:55 AM
Thanks for the tip about seeing how I could engage better. I guess the better overall question is this. Should I use (or need) another social media site to tell/show me how to do social media well? And is this the right format for it? Maybe the answers to both are yes. But I know that for me, I'm already using social media in a way that works for me and what I want to get out of my engagament there. While I am enjoying Empire Avenue, I don't yet know if it will actually be a value add in the long run.
Reply to comment

Lynda on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:30 PM
Yep. At the end of the day it's just a game. If an ice age came tomorrow, no one who survived would give a lick about #EAv! I think it's also valuable for finding people. REAL people in a way that Twitter (too open and anonymous), Facebook (too private) or LinkedIn (too professional) never could. I'm pretty sure the two of us never would have bumped heads if it wasn't for Empire Avenue. That's the value I'm getting out of it!

Brian on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:08 PM
Hi Pat, I finally responded to your comment on the Purpose of Twitter post I wrote about a month ago. So sorry for the delay. I pretty much didn't blog anything for the entire month of May. Tough month. Liked this post. Never heard of EmpireAve before. Doubt I'll check it out because of what you commented above. How many social networks can we possibly use at one time. I'm just not that talented or filled with free time. I don't use a smart phone, so I only use social media while sitting at a computer. Talk to you later, Brian
Reply to comment

patmrhoads on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:08 PM
Thanks for the reply, Brian. I have to admit, I'm enjoying Empire Avenue so far, but I do wonder how many of these I can keep up. And new ones are bound to crop up as well. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Empire Ave, and that's all just for my personal use. Then there's the ones I manage for work... And I DO have a smartphone, and it's still tough to keep up.